How I long for sleep...

I'm constantly concerned that Jack's not getting enough to eat. He's not a happy feeder, usually is crying as I'm trying to get him to latch on and screaming and head bobbing ( doesn't that sound fun?) by the time he starts remembering that all he has to do is start sucking to get what he's looking for! Even once he's latched on, he squirms and sometimes wretches as he's feeding. Have I mentioned that I'm not in love with breastfeeding? :)

There is no evidence to support my concern, Jack's growing, gaining weight, (although he's just a long skinny baby and doesn't look like the other chunks that are his age) but I'm just concerned. Maybe all moms are. I don't know. I wish there was some type of gage on my boob that would make it so I could see how much he's getting.

Anyways, I decided that I needed to amp up my milk supply. There are a few ways to do this. You could power pump which means pump like crazy. I'm not a good pumper. Most of the time I end up with just an ounce or two after a 15 minute session. For those of you who don't know, that's not much, especially since Jack should be eating between 3-4 oz per feeding (again, wish I had that boob gage) so obviously, I'm not pumping up to par! So I didn't feel like power pumping.

People say to eat oatmeal, drink a beer...there are several things that are suggested! I've done it. There are some herbal supplements that you can take. Hadn't done that, so a few weeks ago I ordered some Fenugreek, which is supposed to do the trick. Got it in the mail last week and started taking it.

First of all, one of the side effects is that it makes you smell like maple syrup. And sweat. So, basically, you look and smell like you're sweating maple syrup. Eew.

I've been taking it all week and did feel like my milk was increasing (or was it my imagination? I'll never know...) so yay!

Then Thursday and Friday roll around. Jack would not sleep. And I don't mean was just kinda cranky, I mean he was acting like he's downed a dozen shots of espresso. He was tired, I could tell! But he would....not....go....to....sleep. If anything he would sleep for about 30 minutes and then be back up and ready to party/cry. Not only did he not nap during the day, both nights between 11 and 3, he might have slept 30 minutes. Finally at 3 he fell asleep until 6. Thanks, Jack.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together, but my ultra paranoid husband did. Yesterday he just mentioned that maybe it was the Fenugreek. So I start doing some research. Um, sure enough, there were moms on many message boards that said the same thing!!! Really? Why oh why isn't that plastered over the whole entire bottle? The warning label should say, "Makes you sweat maple syrup and may make your baby act like he's on crack."

So, no more Fenugreek. Last night Jack slept ok, not the best ever, but much better than Thursday and Friday!!!! He's taken a few naps today, so I'm hoping we're on the upward swing of all of this! Oh, goodness, I hope so!!! Mamma needs her sleep!!!!

3 comments:



Mandy Peoples Benedix said...

Molly,
I love your blogs because without ever meeting, I see that you and I have so much in common! (I'm Jeff's friend from college by the way not a crazy internet stalker) I too was not a fan of breastfeeding and couldn't pump enough to feed a gnat much less a growing baby. I only breastfed for 5 weeks and then rejoiced to see my husband feeding Brady with a bottle. So, hang in there and don't feel guilty if you have to go to bottle feeding. Brady is never sick and is happy (most of the time!) Hope to get to meet you and Jack someday and see Jeff again. Tell him Mandy said hello!

Molly said...

Will do, Mandy! After another ridiculously frustrating feeding session this morning, I'm leaning ever more closely to the end of this breastfeeding endeavor! Lord help me. I will pass on your hello to Jeff! He told me that if we ever met, he thought we'd be friends. :0)

Mandy Benedix said...

Well, lets change that "if" we ever meet to "when" we meet. Keep trucking along. Brady is 3 now and I love this age! It for sure gets easier. Challenges are different, but that's part of the fun. :) Jack is super cute. check out my blog at benedixfamily.blogspot.com and you can see Brady. Have a great week.