Change is brewing...

I can tell.  It's just about the time when I can clearly verbalize what Jack's daily schedule looks like that things change.  He likes to keep me on my toes. 

Jack's schedule for pretty much the past month has been clear cut, concise, easy to predict...he wakes up around 7, has a bottle, plays for about an hour, naps for 1.5 to 2 hours, wake up, eats his cereal and fruit, plays for a few hours, naps for 2-3 hours, wakes up, has a bottle, plays, eats cereal and veggies, plays, has a bottle and then bed.  Like clockwork.

Not anymore.  I can feel the change coming.  He's been fighting the predictability lately. 

Like not wanting to go down for his naps, sleeping for only half of the time he usually does, but whining like he's super tired...is it teething?  That's what everyone asks any time my baby seems a little fussy...but this time I'm actually thinking, "Could this be it?"  I've done some investigating in those gums, and I mean, I might see where some teeth are getting ready to pop up, but there's no clear cut evidence for it. 

He still eats like a champ, acts like he could eat my entire dinner after he's finished his, so maybe it's a growth spurt.  I hope not!  My 5 month old is already in 9 month clothes!

He's a complete wiggle worm when he's trying to go to sleep lately.  Like twisting around, putting his face in the mattress...kinda being a freak.  So I thought that it might be a good idea that he not nap in his swing anymore, with all of his twisting and turning...I could see him popping out of that thing!  So we tried to nap in the crib this week...big time fail.  Like not having any of it.  Like talking to himself for an hour and a half, ending up in crying fit, but not sleeping...at...all.  Um, we can't have that.  So we're back to the swing, hoping he won't fly out of it, and trying a slow transitional approach to the "motionless nap".  Thankfully, the crazy night playing is a thing of the past...I say this and he'll probably be up all night tonight.  He's tricky. 

These transition times are always interesting.  It really makes me look at Jack and see what he needs and when he needs it!  It's not about doing what we've done because it's working...it's not working anymore.  Sooooooo, time to re-evaluate and see where that takes us!  Wish me luck!

2 comments:



The Rubinson Clan said...

We just did the big transition to the toddler bed this weekend! So, we are in the mix of putting up with fighting naps ourselves. One thing I have learned as a mom is that things always get better and it is just a phase. So, take it one day at a time! If today goes poorly, there's always tomorrow!

Molly said...

wonderful, wonderful advice! one day at a time and this won't last forever...those will be my mantras as we go forward...in transitioning out of the swing and transitioning into teething!